Monday, March 06, 2006

From the Bookshelf

I just finished the 9th and 10th books of the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien, Treason's Harbor and The Far Side of the World. The latter one lent its title to the movie "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World," although the plot was drawn from an entirely other novel. (I guess some studio exec like the sound of "The Far Side of the World.")

Anyway, the books are great. I haven't been disappointed in any one of them, and I breeze right through their 300+ pages. (Contrast with Flashman.) They are great yarns, sea adventures mixed with spy novels and leavened with humor, history, ornithology, and cannons.

I look forward to the day when I can pass them down to the Monkey. Boys need access to fiction with cannons. In the mean time, it's nice to know that there are 11 more novels for myself to enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home