Monday, May 22, 2006

Today in WTF...

By my calculations, it takes 200 cubic feet of water to cover my basement 3 inches deep:

20 ft wide X 40 feet long X .25 feet deep == 200 cubic feet

At 7.48 gallons/cubic foot, this is approximately equal to 1500 gallons of water.

But where did it come from? My water heater holds 50 gallons, and I drained my boiler in April. When I turned off the main, there was no noticeable change in sound: no cessation of rushing water in particular. The DC Water and Sewer Authority has reported no problems in my area.

Is it possible that water is coming up through cracks in the basement slab?

It's a real puzzler.

Fuck.

Update: The water main next door has been leaking since Thursday. Their front yard is a sodden sponge that soaked at least three basements on the block. The claims adjuster comes tomorrow. And I was right about the slab.

2d Update: Now the two insurance companies (mine and my neighbors') are battling to see which one will get the opportunity to screw me. I feel a profanity coming on...

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger KC said...

Slabs ain't waterproof! I wonder how bad it is for the neighbor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home