Sunday, September 02, 2007

Shecky Monkey

The Monkey laughed at his first pun today -- a polyglot pun at that.

You first thing you have to know is that "shu shu" (?) is a Chinese term of respect addressed to a middle-aged males, possibly but not necessarily related. It means "uncle," but I first heard it applied to the "shu shu" who visits our house every day around 4:30pm and delivers items through the door slot, i.e. the USPS letter carrier. Then, "shu shu" meant every construction worker in our neighborhood -- of which there are many.

The second thing you need to know is that the Monkey has a wooden wheel loader, about 15" long, with a string figure driver. The wheel loader recently ceased to be the generic "scoop" in Monkeyspeak, and is now referrerd to as a "wheel loader" in the Monkey's increasingly refined speech (which distinguishes, for instance, "backhoe" and "bulldozer.") The driver is known, as befits a string construction worker, as "shu shu."

The third thing you need to know is that the Monkey typically wears bright yellow Crocs, plastic shoes with air holes in the tops.

It just so happened that I was tickling the Monkey's toes through his Crocs with the string figure wheel loader driver. So I said "shu shu shoe."

When he saw what I was getting at, he laughed like his dad just got hurt or something. (Tip to dads: pratfalls == comedy gold.) I mean, belly laughs. Guffaws. Requests for more. Tears in his eyes. That was a good one, dad..."Shu shu shoe," he says! Killing me!

It felt good to see him laugh so well.

Anyway, as the play progressed, it just so happend that a toy panda bear mauled the shu shu and drove away in the wheel loader. That made me laugh, and I think my right as a parent is to be entertained.

ALERT!!! EQUAL TREATMENT -- NO SIBLING RIVALRY -- SHARING OF ATTENTION REPORT!!!

The new baby had her first poo today. That's just as good as a first pun!

(It felt good to get that off my chest. I'm still meditating on what sibling preference must feel like as it's experienced by my own children.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home