Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cooperation

Sunday, I helped a friend build a patio in his back yard. Since the Monkey Mama and I are planning to do a minor-to-major project in the backyard this summer, I thought it would be a good idea to help him in expectation of his help later. Plus, it's always nice to help out a friend...especially if the weather is fine.

It's kind of like a backyard home improvement cooperative. Back in the 1970s, my parents entered into a mutual roofing society. I don't know if they called it a cooperative, but that was the idea.

The cooperative spirit is in the air. The Petworth Parents list-serv will be debating a babysitting cooperative soon. Parents will alternate babysitting with going out for an evening. (And since the kids in plagroup are fun, both options are pretty appealing.) And I was talking with a neighbor today about a potential nanny-share situation.

The rigors of child-rearing force parents to be creative and down-to-earth. It's no wonder that "Co-Op-Er-Ation" is one of the first lessons they teach in Sesame Street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home