Monday, January 28, 2008

Resubmergence

We're getting close to another milestone: the Monkey Mama is going back to work.

Our Little One is almost 6 months old. We've made some allowances and some sacrifices to make those 6 months count. The biggest ones -- financially, anyway -- have been to keep the Monkey Mama at home (away from her good-paying job) and to keep employing our daytime caregiver 2 days a week. Of course there are complicating factors: career, continuity of daycare for the Monkey, and many others. But we have made it a priority that the Little One gets access to her mama every day, and full access to her mama at least 2 days a week.

Moreover, I've been at home one day per week (foregoing 20% of my salary) to be at home with our little ones. It's been great to share that one day per week with the Monkey Mama.

But now that she is heading back to work, I have to make preparations. I will be home with both kids every Monday...with no help from grownups.

Of course, the Monkey Mama has been confronting this challenging scenario two days per week for some months now. (And when she does, it takes it out of her.)

I've been steeling myself, quizzing the Monkey Mama for eating, napping, and pooping schedules, and the other sundry details of raising a wee person.

I am reclaiming the stay-at-home dadness that made my life so interesting (to me) that I had no choice but to start this blog.

But I also feel like I am submerging, heading under water for 10 hours at a time. Every Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home