Monday, October 16, 2006

Wild, Wonderful

Last weekend was the first night in 16 months that I have left the Monkey to stay overnight somewhere. But for a brief spell when the Monkey Mama took him to her parents about a year ago, it's the only time we've been apart. It was not an altogether unwelcome respite, and I enjoyed my time, a reminder of some of the things I have learned to enjoy in life that are difficult to integrate into the family life and career path I have chosen.

I went camping and kayaking on the Gauley River in West Virginia. It was great to see friends, get out in nature, and get my paddle on.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to write a long post, but the trip had a little of everything. Extra spicy rapids thanks to a dam release and a recent rainfall. Fall colors. A nearly empty river -- I've never had so much time to play at the best surf spots on the river. Bourbon. Sleeping outdoors.

And Columbus Day to regroup with the family when I got back. (We snuck in some housework and a visit to Tarara Winery.)

1 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the gauley went well. Some of us, too lame to go ourselves, have been thirsting for details on the cybersphere...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home