Tuesday, January 17, 2006

That's Not My Brand

It is virtually impossible to buy a disposable diaper that lacks corporate-owned cartoon images. (We also use a cloth diaper service, but that is the topic of another post.) For example, Huggies have pictures of Mickey Mouse, and Pampers have Sesame Street. I have also seen characters from Winnie-the-Pooh and Finding Nemo.

I do not entirely follow the co-branding logic in this situation.

Our child does not spend a lot of time looking at the diaper, so I doubt they're inspiring brand familiarity and winning a customer for life. And for my part, I am now only able to associate the Sesame Street character "Elmo" with his piss-laden visage that I throw into the trash as soon as possible.

Update: It turns out they have Big Bird and Grover on those things as well. Maybe it's because they didn't introduce the Elmo character until long after I stopped watching Sesame Street, and I therefore lack the positive associations that I have with the other two characters. But when I think of Big Bird, I don't think of a soiled diaper. I wish the same were true about Tinkle Me Elmo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home